Host Your Own Recipe Swap Party
Plus, downloadable recipe cards you can use for a party filled with food, friends & fun
Tired of cooking the same old meals over and over? Want a fun, creative way to celebrate with family and friends? Consider hosting a recipe swap party as an entertaining way to gather with loved ones and get some new mealtime ideas and culinary inspiration.
At a recipe swap party, attendees bring recipes and family favorite dishes to share and trade. It’s a great way to bring people together in a way that everyone can relate to, learn from each other, trade stories, unveil “secret” ingredients and score some new recipes to try.
You can throw a recipe swap party purely out of a love for food and a desperate need for some new cooking ideas, or you can throw a recipe swap for other occasions, such as a bridal or baby shower, a super bowl party or other holidays like Independence Day, St. Patrick’s Day and more.
Here’s some ideas for how to host your own recipe swap:
- THEME – determine a theme for the dishes, like holiday cookies, appetizers, all soups, desserts, pasta, or recipes with a particular ingredient (like “chicken” recipes) … the possibilities are endless
- INVITATION – create and send a printed invite or evite; give partygoers a few weeks’ notice, so they can prepare
- SET EXPECTATIONS – provide guests with instructions about the party and information on what to bring so they know what to expect
- BRING A DISH TO SHARE – request everyone bring a dish to share and multiple copies of the recipe so there’s enough for everyone at the party to taste and to receive a copy
- RECIPE CARDS – use one of our fun “recipe cards” below for your signature dish; just print out and cut up for use at the party
- SNACKS – offer some nibbles and drinks to guests before the tasting and sharing begins with water available as a palette cleanser
- CONTESTS – if you are the competitive type, or just want to add an extra dimension to your party, have a contest for most flavorful, most fun, most spicy, most savory, most attractive or whatever categories work best with your theme
- FINAL WORDS – explain and announce any contests you are having before the tasting begins with pens, paper and voting instructions available
- TASTE TEST – finally the best part – tasting! Enjoy your time with friends sampling and sharing stories about the dishes, revealing “secret” ingredients, or providing key steps to preparing the dish
- SENDOFFS – tally votes, announce winners and send guests home with a fun party-favor such as a recipe box, pretty bag, basket or decorated binder to keep recipes in
Let your creative juices flow and have fun with your party – you can’t go wrong with good food and good company!
If you need any more culinary inspiration, check out season 2 of “The Great American Recipe” series appearing on PBS this summer. Plow & Hearth is a proud supporter of the series which brings together inventive home cooks from all over the country to impress judges with their beloved signature dishes.
Use these custom recipe cards for any of your beloved dishes or have them available at the party!